PE SUMMER PROJECTS 2018
On this page you will find details about projects for the Summer holidays. All projects done to a high standard will receive a Headmaster's Distinction, and there are also prizes to be issued by the PE department.
PE Summer Project
Football World Cup 2018
1. Design a healthy, balanced meal for a football player. Then investigate traditional diets in different countries and examine the energy and nutrition content of typical meals.
2.Investigate the use and environmental impact of plastic at a major sporting event, such as the World Cup. Compare different plastics according to their properties, uses and environmental footprint. Design and make a product using waste plastic.
See Practical Action’s Plastics challenge for more ideas: https://practicalaction.org/plastics-challenge
Investigate how FIFA tries to make the World Cup more inclusive.
You could research how FIFA ranks teams as well as the current World Cup qualification process. Reflect on and discuss how “fair” they think these processes are.
There are challenges in making the World Cup more inclusive. For example, although it would mean that both stronger and weaker teams from different parts of the world have a chance of competing, the positive discrimination that might be necessary to support this could result in championship games between teams of very different abilities. It could also result in some of the stronger teams not qualifying because there may be fewer places available for teams from stronger continents to take part.
GCSE PE Preparation - Year 9 PE Summer Project
This project is essential for those pupils who are starting GCSE Physical Education in September 2017 and will give you a firm foundation for the key terms that will be used regularly in class.
- Research the following Components of Fitness and find out the meanings of each term:
- Cardiovascular fitness
- Muscular Strength
- Muscular Endurance
- Body Composition
- Reaction Time
- Now apply each component of fitness and use sporting examples of your choice to say how it is important. A visual display of each component being used in sport would enhance this. Ideas can include Video, Presentation, Slideshow, Top Trumps cards, etc.
- Finally, write about your main sport and which components of fitness are important to you and explain why. Think about the specific position that you play and how the component of fitness is needed.
For those pupils who are starting BTEC Sport in Year 12 in September 2017 – this project is essential in order to give you a firm foundation of the first Learning Aim on the skeletal system.
- Learn the main bones of the skeleton using the sheet below or the internet
- Classify these into Long bones, Short bones, Flat bones and Sesamoid bones, using the internet to help you.
- Create a Video presentation and apply your knowledge of the skeleton to sporting actions:
- Explain how the bones of the skeleton are used in movement for sport
- Analyse the movements possible at the Joints
- You can also use sporting clips in your video